Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to search
EFD Induction history

Company history

EFD Induction was founded in 1996 by the merger of Germany’s Fritz Düsseldorf Induktionserwärmung and Norway’s ELVA Induksjon. The roots, however, go back to the 1950's.

The story of EFD Induction go back to the launch in 1950 of a universal induction hardening machine by the German company, Induktionserwärmung Fritz Düsseldorf GmbH (FDF). 

While FDF was expanding in the 1970s, an induction revolution was taking place in Norway, where engineers had figured out how to transistorize frequency converters for induction heating.

In 1981, three of those engineers founded ELVA Induksjon a.s. In 1983, they unveiled the Minac range of mobile converters. Workpieces no longer had to be brought at great cost to a stationary induction heater—the heater could now go to the workpiece.

In 1991, the managing directors of FDF and ELVA met by chance. They talked… and speculated. FDF was strong in stationary induction hardening machines. ELVA was the agile innovator with a track record in finding new applications for induction heating. What if the two companies got together?

In January 1996, FDF and ELVA merged to create EFD Induction. And the rest is, as they say, history.

Today, EFD Induction is one of the world's largest suppliers of induction solutions for industry .

The corporate headquarter is in Skien, Norway.